The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) protects consumers and oversees financial service providers and products. The DBO supervises the operations of state-licensed financial institutions, including banks, credit unions and money transmitters. Additionally, the DBO licenses and regulates a variety of financial service providers, including securities brokers and dealers, investment advisers, payday lenders and other consumer finance lenders. For a complete list of the types of financial services providers and industries regulated by the DBO, go to http://www.dbo.ca.gov/Licensees/default.asp.
- File a Complaint
- Quejas de el Consumidor
- Alerts and Advisories
- Search for Banks, Credit Unions, Money Transmitters and Other Financial Institutions
- Search for Broker-Dealers, Investment Advisers, Mortgage Lenders, Mortgage Loan Servicers, Payday Lenders, Non-Bank Finance Lenders, Escrow Agents and Companies, Check Sellers and Other Financial Service Providers
- Enforcement Actions Against Financial Service Providers
- Enforcement Orders Against Financial Institutions
- 2014 California Finance Lenders Law Annual Report – Forms and Instructions
The Annual Report Form for Licensees Engaged in Business under the California Finance Lenders Law (CFLL) for Year Ended December 31, 2014, is now available for download. The deadline to submit the report is March 15, 2015, and no extensions will be granted.
- 2014 Residential Mortgage Loan Report Notice/Form (PDF)
- Division of Financial Institutions
- Division of Corporations
Self-Help Portal – The DBO’s DOCQNET Self-Help Portal allows licensees to submit online applications, exemption notices, annual report information and more. For details, visit DBO’s self-help portal.
Financial Statistics and Industry Data
- Consumer Finance Lenders
- Payday Lenders
- Financial Institutions
- Bank Officer and Director Compensation
False Solicitation about Leland Energy Settlement (02/18/2015) – Investors in Leland Energy are being solicited by a purported New York State-licensed attorney claiming to have been hired by the State of California to contact them regarding $6.5 million in funds the purported lawyer claims to hold from the DBO’s 2012 settlement with Leland. For a fee, this person claims he will release those funds to the investor/victims. The DBO has hired no such person. Get more details here.
- 01/15/15 - Monthly Bulletin Volume 02, Number 06
- 12/31/14 - Publications - Residential Mortgage Loan Report (2013)
- 12/17/14 - Summary Report on Financial Institutions – Third Quarter 2014
Where Do I Find?...
DBO Call Center
- Toll-Free 1-866-275-2677 (English)