Pursuant to the Governor’s Reorganization Plan No. 2 on July 1, 2013, the Department of Corporations and Department of Financial Institutions became the Department of Business Oversight. Learn more.
The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) provides protection to consumers and services to businesses engaged in financial transactions. The Department regulates a variety of financial services, products and professionals. The Department oversees the operations of state-licensed financial institutions, including banks, credit unions, money transmitters, issuers of payment instruments and travelers checks, and premium finance companies. Additionally, the Department licenses and regulates a variety of financial businesses, including securities brokers and dealers, investment advisers, deferred deposit transactions(commonly known as payday loans) and certain fiduciaries and lenders. The Department also regulates the offer and sale of securities, franchises and off-exchange commodities. For the complete list, see the Department’s page about Licensees and Regulated Industries.
- 11/26/2013 – The next Escrow Law Advisory Committee meeting will be Tuesday December 10, 2013 at 10:00 A.M. The meeting will be held at the Department of Business Oversight’s Los Angeles office located at 320 West Fourth Street, 7th Floor Conference Room. Agenda.
- 11/22/2013 – DBO Order - Electronic Communications (Designated E-Mail) - DBO Designated Email Registration Portal - Login
- 11/08/2013 – The California Department of Business Oversight has released the results of a survey of payday lenders in California. The survey gathered information on transaction volume and amounts, customer borrowing and repayment patterns, collection practices, and compliance practices of payday lenders regulated by the California Deferred Deposit Transaction Law (CDDTL). You may view the survey results here.
- 11/08/2013 – The 2012 Annual Report of operation of Deferred Deposit Originators is now available. Previous What's New »
- 11/19/13 - California Department of Business Oversight Issues Orders Voiding Illegal Payday Loan Transactions (PDF)
- 11/19/13 - Department of Business Oversight Honored For Work with Small Businesses and Disabled Veteran Enterprises (PDF)
- 11/19/13 - California Department of Business Oversight Enters Consent Order with UBS Financial Services (PDF)
- 10/07/13 – State Banks and Credit Unions Warned of Illegal Payday Loan Risks
- 08/28/13 – Department of Business Oversight Finds Interest Overcharges, Orders Refunds and Penalties
- 08/13/13 – Department of Business Oversight Announces Settlement with Mortgage Company for Interest Overcharges More Press Releases »
- About Us
FDIC Consumer News: Financial Tips for Seniors - 15 Quick Tips for Protecting Your Finances; How Older Adults Can Steer Clear of Scam Artists; Borrowing From Your Home in Retirement? Carefully Research the Benefits and Risks; Tips for Seniors Wanting to Help Relatives; and more.
- CFPB and FDIC Collaborate to Develop a Tool for Older Adults to Prevent Financial Exploitation More Consumer Resources »
- DBO Order - Electronic Communications (Designated E-Mail) - To register or update the designated email for your business, visit DBO’s secure designated email portal.
- Letter to Banks and Credit Unions regarding illegal unlicensed online payday lending
- DBO Small Business Lending Conference, October 30, 2013, San Francisco
- Filing Designated Locations for Service of Legal Process - In accordance with Code of Civil Procedure Section 684.115 (AB 2364), designated locations for service of legal process are filed with the DBO by financial institutions* doing business in California. For more information, see Information on Central Locations for Service of Legal Process or email Licensing@dbo.ca.gov.
- Unclaimed Property Holders Reporting news, Guidelines, Unclaimed Property Holder Handbook (PDF), and other information for financial institutions and other Holders of Unclaimed Property. More Licensee Resources »
- 10/14/13 - **INTERNET ALERT**
Oglala Sioux Tribe of South Dakota doing business as Seaside Payday, LDC; First Nation of the Lower Similkameen Indian Tribe of Canada doing business as My Silver Safe; Riverbend Finance, LLC doing business in association with the Ft. Belknap Reservation, Montana, NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBE ONLINE PAYDAY LENDERS
- 09/16/13 - **INTERNET ALERT**
Chukchansi Indian Tribe of California doing business as BLUE KING, INC., NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBE ONLINE PAYDAY LENDERS**
- 09/16/13 - **INTERNET ALERT**
Otoe-Missouria Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma doing business as American Web Loan NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBE ONLINE PAYDAY LENDERS**
- 08/23/13 - **INTERNET ALERT**
Where Do I Find?...
DBO Call Center
- Toll-Free 1-866-275-2677 (English)
Please email DBO Website Staff if you need assistance locating information on our new DBO Website (replaces www.dfi.ca.gov and www.corp.ca.gov). Also, please note that most historical documents produced before July 1, 2013 will be posted as Department of Corporations and Department of Financial Institutions documents.