Pursuant to the Governor’s Reorganization Plan No. 2 on July 1, 2013, the Department of Corporations and Department of Financial Institutions became the Department of Business Oversight. Learn more.
The Department of Business Oversight (DBO) provides protection to consumers and services to businesses engaged in financial transactions. The DBO regulates a variety of financial services, products and professionals. The Department oversees the operations of state-licensed financial institutions, including banks, credit unions, money transmitters, issuers of payment instruments and travelers checks, and premium finance companies. Additionally, the Department licenses and regulates a variety of financial businesses, including securities brokers and dealers, investment advisers, deferred deposit transactions (commonly known as payday loans) and certain fiduciaries and lenders. The Department also regulates the offer and sale of securities, franchises and off-exchange commodities. For the complete list, see the Department’s page about Licensees and Regulated Industries.
- 07/17/2014 - The Commissioner of Business Oversight adopted amendments to implement the Pilot Program for Increased Access to Responsible Small Dollar Loans as enacted by Senate Bill 318 (Chapter 467, Statutes of 2013) under the California Finance Lenders Law. Specifically, this regulatory action amended Section 1550 of Article 10, repealed Sections 1580 through 1596 of Article 13, and adopted Sections 1600 through 1618 to Article 14, of Subchapter 6 of Title 10 of the California Code of Regulations. These amendments are effective upon filing with the Secretary of State on July 17, 2014. (Adopted Rules PRO 15/13)
- 07/15/2014 - The California Department of Business Oversight Commissioner proposes to adopt, amend, and repeal various sections of Title 10 of the California Code of Regulations under the Money Transmission Act. This proposed rulemaking action implements the Money Transmission Act and updates existing regulations, which are based on a now repealed law. Specifically, with regard to (1) exemptions from the Money Transmission Act and (2) the determination of tangible shareholders’ equity, the law, as amended by Assembly Bill 786 (Chapter 533, Statutes of 2013), requires the Department to adopt regulations for those subject matters. The period within which to comment on this proposed regulatory action ends on September 8, 2014. (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking PRO 03/14)
- 07/14/2014 – The California Department of Business Oversight (Department) received an application for a Fairness Hearing with respect to the proposed acquisition of Oculus VR, Inc. by Facebook, Inc. A hearing has been set for Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 10 a.m. and will be held in the Department’s hearing room located at One Sansome St., San Francisco. The hearing is a requirement for Facebook to obtain an exemption under Section 3(a)(10) of the Federal Securities Act of 1933. A copy of the official “Notice of Hearing” is posted here. It includes a call-in telephone number to attend the hearing via teleconference.
- 06/23/2014 – The California Department of Business Oversight Commissioner (Commissioner) is requesting comments on proposed amendments to the regulations that impact finance lenders and brokers, residential mortgage lenders and servicers and mortgage loan originators. The Department of Business Oversight (Department) is considering changes to the rules to: (1) further clarify the supervisory requirements on mortgage providers subject to the California Finance Lenders Law and the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act regarding mortgage loan originators; (2) help mortgage providers determine what qualifies as a branch office; (3) broaden the Departmentís choice regarding future mortgage loan originator tests; and (4) modify related education requirements. The Commissioner is seeking comments from interested parties prior to initiating a rulemaking action, and requests that comments be received by July 25, 2014. (Invitation for Comments, PRO 13/11)
- 06/18/2014 – The California Department of Business Oversight has launched a new Self-Service Portal as a result of the Document Quality Network (DOCQNET) project implementation. Effective immediately, securities permit applications and exemption notices filed pursuant to the Corporate Securities Law of 1968 and franchise applications and exemption notices filed under the Franchise Investment Law may be filed and paid for online using the Self-Service DOCQNET Portal. Companies licensed under the California Finance Lenders Law, California Deferred Deposit Transaction Law, and Escrow Law, may access the Self-Service Portal to submit applications for licensure, view the status of applications, submit annual report information, and update contact information. Additionally, the LOEN and Cal-EASI databases will now be accessible and searchable from the Self-Service DOCQNET Portal. You may access the new Self-Service DOCQNET Portal at https://docqnet.dbo.ca.gov/. For more information on the DOCQNET project, please visit www.dbo.ca.gov/docqnet.
- 06/06/2014 - Beginning June 18, 2014, securities permit applications and exemption notices filed pursuant to the Corporate Securities Law of 1968 and franchise applications and exemption notices filed under the Franchise Investment Law may be filed and paid for online using the Document Quality Network (DOCQNET) Self-Service Portal. The California Department of Business Oversight will not accept electronically-filed LOEN notices from June 13, 2014 after 5 pm until DOCQNET is launched on June 18, 2014 at noon. To avoid increased filing fees associated with a late 25102(f) notice filing during this period, please submit a hard copy of any 25102(f) LOEN notice and payment by mail to the Department. For more information, please visit our page on the new Self-Service Portal, DOCQNET.
- 06/05/14 – The next Escrow Law Advisory Committee meeting will be on Tuesday June 17, 2014 at 10 a.m. The meeting will be held at the California Department of Business Oversight’s Los Angeles office located at 320 West Fourth Street, Seventh Floor Conference Room. Please contact Special Administrator Richard Malme in the Los Angeles office at (213)-576-7595 if you have any questions. Agenda. The minutes from the December 10, 2013 meeting are now available. Previous What's New »
Press ReleasesMore Press Releases »
- About Us
- FDIC Consumer News: Financial Tips for Seniors - 15 Quick Tips for Protecting Your Finances; How Older Adults Can Steer Clear of Scam Artists; Borrowing From Your Home in Retirement? Carefully Research the Benefits and Risks; Tips for Seniors Wanting to Help Relatives; and more.
- CFPB and FDIC Collaborate to Develop a Tool for Older Adults to Prevent Financial Exploitation More Consumer Resources »
- DBO Self-Service Portal - The Portal will significantly improve how we communicate with applicants and licensees and enhance consumer support. For more information, visit DBO’s Self-Service Portal.
- DBO Order - Electronic Communications (Designated E-Mail) - To register or update the designated email for your business, visit DBO’s Secure Designated Email Portal.
- Information on Central Locations for Service of Legal Process - In accordance with Code of Civil Procedure Section 684.115 (AB 2364).
More Licensee Resources »
- 4/29/14 - **Fraudulent Payday Loan Debt Collection **
The California Department of Business Oversight has been notified that consumers in California and other states have received telephone calls from debt collector(s) falsely claiming to be collecting a payday loan debt on behalf of CMG Financial. Read More…
- 04/17/14 - ** American Financial Resolutions; afranswers.com **
The California Department of Business Oversight has been notified that www.afranswers.com is claiming to be American Financial Resources, with the alternate name American Financial Resolutions, and is offering mortgage modification services to consumers via the Internet. Read More…
- 04/08/14 - ** Agreed International– related to timeshare sales in Mexico**
The California Department of Business Oversight has been notified that Agreed International appears to be misleadingly using the name of a company that is licensed by the Department, Agreed Escrow (formerly Aftermarket Escrow) to offer escrow services. Read More…
- 04/08/14 - ** Argon Holdings – related to timeshare sales in Mexico **
The California Department of Business Oversight has been notified that Argon Holdings is offering escrow services to consumers in connection with the sale of their timeshares through Advanced Realty AL without a license. Read More…
- Financial Services Search
- Financial Institutions Search
- Forms and Applications
- Job Opportunities
- What’s New
Where Do I Find?...
DBO Call Center
- Toll-Free 1-866-275-2677 (English)