DBO provides information and resources regarding homeownership and the home-buying process, loan modifications, foreclosure prevention, mortgage fraud, and mortgage-related scams.
Information for First-Time Homebuyers from the California Housing Finance Agency (CalHFA)
CalHFA understands buying your first home is both a huge responsibility and a huge opportunity. Owning your home means you can paint the walls with your favorite color, plant flowers and vegetables if you choose and plant the seed for an investment in your future. Of course, before you leap into homeownership, you should get prepared first. To help you get ready and get the most out of CalHFA’s loan programs and assistance, follow these easy steps.
- Am I Eligible?
- Available Mortgage Programs
- How to Apply
- Contact CalHFA
Homebuyers interested in applying for CalHFA financing should contact one of CalHFA's approved lenders or fill out a short questionnaire to have a CalHFA Representative contact you.
- You may still apply for CalHFA’s first mortgage loans if your property is located in a Targeted Area.
- Are you experiencing financial hardship and having difficulties making your mortgage payment? Visit CalHFA's Hardship Assistance Page to view options available to you.
Connect With Us!
Online Financial Education
DBO is committed to providing consumers with helpful information on a variety of financial topics including homeownership and mortgage foreclosure prevention.
This short interactive learning experience will prepare you with the right skills to manage your financial future! Simply click the button at right to get started!
- Path to Homeownership
- Guard Against Fraud!
- 防止欺詐! (Chinese)
- 사기로부터 가족 을 지키세요! (Korean)
- НЕ ДАЙТЕ СЕБЯ ОБМАНУТЬ! (Russian)
- Cuidado Con El Fraude! (Spanish)
- Mag-Ingat Laban Sa Pandaraya! (Tagalog)
- ĐỀ PHÒNG CHỐNG GIAN LẬN! (Vietnamese)
- Home Finance
- More DBO Publications…
- Know Before You Owe (CFPB)
- Putting Your Home on the Loan Line is a Risky Business (FDIC)
- Reverse Mortgages - is One Right for You? (DRE)
- CFPB Guide: Considering a Reverse Mortgage?
- Find a HUD-Approved Housing Counselor
- HUD-Approved Housing Counseling Agency
- Financial Sense to White Picket Fence (CCCREE Center/DRE)